Thursday, December 11, 2008

Lolo

My Dad passed away a month ago. Nov. 7. It'll be his 40 days on Tuesday.

I should say that I miss him. I do. Except that, at the back of my head, I think he's still around. I don't see him or feel his presence. I just know. Or believe.

Laila, on the other hand, is certain that Lolo is still around. More precisely, he's sitting on her shoulder. I told her the story of how people become angels and gain magic powers when they die. And, the trusting little cat that she is, Laila believed my story completely.

As a result, Lolo is permanently hovering by her right shoulder now. The right is the spot she designated her guardian angel is in. Lolo and the angel are invisible and weightless. It's part of the magic.

Laila's cousin, Trisha, on the other hand, is more certain that Lolo is still around. He would stand at the foot of her bed at night, wearing the same red and white barong he wore to my wedding and his funeral.

Trisha is one of those people who can see beyond what we do. She even had a short conversation with Lolo. Actually, it was Lolo who did the talking. Lolo told her that we should take care of Lola. That we should take her for a check up.

His reminder is actually good. I've been trying to convince Mom to get a long-delayed check up. I also want her to spend Christmas with us here. Dad's reminder would be a good argument for me to make her do what I say for once.

It should be creepy, I suppose, that the dead is coming for a visit. But I'm not creeped out at all. I actually feel warm and reassured.

He's still here.

Dad would have to move on one day, I know. Maybe he's making all these urgent reminders because his 40 days is drawing close. The old ones say the soul stays with us 40 more days after death before finally moving on.

But for now I know he is still definitely here. And he will always be here. For me. Even if he moves on.

No comments: