Sunday, July 22, 2007

Lessons from Mufasa

I never was the type of person who would take injustice, even only perceived injustice, sitting down.


It goes without saying that I will, if you may, protect Baby Cat from injustice with all the ferocity of Mufasa protecting Simba from the hyenas. I can't roar and slash and go for the jugular the way Mufasa did. But I do my best.

And, sometimes, restrain myself the best I can as well.

This morning I spoke with Teacher Reg about her supposedly raising her voice at Laila. Baby Cat's been suffering from separation anxiety again and has been bawling whenever she's dropped off at school. Ate Lyn said she heard Teacher last Friday order Laila, in an unfriendly tone, to go inside the classroom.


Teacher Reg denied all of it. She explained--her mouth tight and eyes in obviously slighted slits--that she used her normal voice and that none of the other parents have complained about the way she handled the class.


I wanted to hiss that there's always a first time for everything but instead simply told her that I find the whole incident disturbing. I used the calmest voice I could muster. I tried to use neutral words like 'raise your voice' instead of 'shout at' or 'disturbing incident' instead of 'do that again and I'll kick you ass'.


Ate Lyn, who was standing behind me, repeated everything she told me in front of Teacher Reg. And I saw Teacher's mouth tighten even more and her eyes become even more narrower slits. My jaws tensed as well. I think she saw it too. I also think she used a wealth of euphemisms on me as well.


I ended the rather unfriendly conversation with advice to let Laila cry her separation anxiety out and for Teacher not to bark commands. Laila, like me, has ths tendency not to follow instructions if she disapproves of the tone with which it is given.


I guess my not too successful attempt at exercising restraint was borne out of the desire to protect Laila beyond the shouting incident.



Now, I am wondering how my chat with Teacher would affect Laila's relationship with her. Baby Cat definitely found the incident with Teacher striking since she remembered it and even copied the scowling face Teacher made. At the same time, Laila looks like she's still fond of Teacher Reg and of school.



But I know I did the right thing. I want to teach Laila that she has to stand up for herself and not to tolerate abusive behavior. Shouting at a crying three-year old, to me, is abusive.


When she grows up, I want Laila to know her worth and that she doesn't have to take crap from anyone. I also want her to grow up to be a decent human being who respect others as much as herself. Furthermore, I want her to condcut herself with dignity.


And I think a parent can't teach these values early enough.

No comments: