Friday, March 28, 2008

Natural Performer

Laila's school had their Moving Up Day for preschoolers on March 18. Of all the songs the kids sang, this is my favorite. Baby Cat had been belting out the song and dance number for over two weeks already. I knew it was from school but I hadn't realized it was part of the Moving Up ceremony.

Laila obviously loves performing in front of a crowd. As you obviously can see from the theater-level movements.

She and I are different in that sense. I can't help but get self-conscious when I'm in front of people, even the ones I know.

I tend to edit myself whenever I talk. To those listening, it could sound like stuttering. That's because I start to say something then my head tells my mouth this word is more appropriate or more descriptive or that the tenses don't match or to keep the voice active instead of passive.

I end up stopping in mid-sentence. That's exactly how I write. Except that it's not obvious from my story how much I edit myself while composing anything as simple as a Thank You note.

Doesn't it make you proud to have a kid who's a model more sophisticated than you? A good contribution for the species.

No comments: