Sunday, May 13, 2007

Laila's Boat




Laila and I went with Daddy Alvin to the polling precinct this morning. It's the midterm election and I thought it would be helpful for Laila to get to see ordinary people helping shape the direction of the country.

She was quite excited to see 'the boht'. But when we got there, she looked confused. Looking around the fenced compound, she asked me: 'Where's the boht?'

Then I realized she thought we'd be taking a look at a 'boat' not 'vote'. So funny! I tried to explain to her that voting is where orinary people helped choose the leaders of the country but she looked distracted and uninterested. But she seemed more receptive to Daddy's explanation that the boat already left.

So when you ask her, how the vote was, she'd say 'Alis na daw.'

+++

Mother's Day yesterday went better than I thought.

I'd been expecting it to be crappy since I have to work that afternoon--a last minute briefing by Namfrel (election day happens to fall on the Monday after Mother's Day). Crap. But Namfrel rescheduled an hour later so I had more time to spend at home. An extra hour was good eniugh for me.

We set up Laila's kiddie pool at the back and spent the entire morning submerged in the cool water. Just me, Laila and Daddy Alvin. Good bonding time for the three of us. Laila splashed around, we tickled each other (Daddy Alvin did most of the tickling), we told and acted out stories about the crocodile eating Capt. Hook (which eventually became the shark eating Spiderman, Superman etc).

After lunch of my scrumptious menudo, Laila and I took a nap entangled in each other's arms.

Is there any better way of spending Mother's Day than that?

No comments: