Wednesday, January 23, 2008

No Cry Baby No More

Baby Cat had been insisting that I go to school with her since classes resumed after Christmas break.

I assume it's because of the New Ate and the renewed newness of the entire waking-up-early-preparing-for-school-and-being-left-in-class-with-teacher-and-the-classmates experience. She cried in school and got teased, I imagine, because of it.

It broke my heart to hear her whimper at night that she wants me to sit in class with her. Her relatively large vocabulary allowed her to express her preference and block my rationalizations.

Me: I can't go to class with you, I'm not a classmate.
Laila: You can be a classmate too.
Me: But I don't have a chair.
Laila: You can sit on my chair.
Me: But where would you sit?
Laila: On your lap.
Me: I'm too big for school.
Laila: Teacher Wedge (Reg) is big too but she's there.
Me: But I'm not a teacher.
Laila: You can help her.
Me: But who'll go to my office if I go to school?
Laila: I can go to the office and you go to school.

See what I mean?

She starts whimpering when she gets tired convincing me of the wisdom of her proposition. Or perhaps she's just frustrated that she can't make me agree with her.

Fortunately, Baby Cat has started enjoying school again. Yesterday morning she didn't cry as her tricycle pulled out of the driveway. This morning she gave me an enthusiastic wave and looked straight ahead with a mischievous grin. I can only imagine what she must be thinking about.

That's my girl.

No comments: