Friday, June 22, 2007

The Big Drop

It’s been two weeks since Laila returned to preschool. In those two weeks I’ve been dropping her off before sneaking away when she goes to pack away her stuff in her cubby hole in the back room.

I realize the advice given by child experts is to say your good-byes properly instead of sneaking away. But, believe me, sneaking away works better for us. Formal good-byes and kisses just elicit howls of despair from her. On the other hand, once Laila sees that I’ve already disappeared, she merrily helps herself to her favorite pink wooden tower blocks in one corner of the classroom.


She seems to have taken a liking to Teacher Reg—she’s still not as involved as Teacher Kerin but she’s not at all disappointing as I originally feared—who has funny stories to tell about my Baby Cat. It seems that Laila would scowl, dramatically put her tiny hands to her hips and ominously hiss whenever something, or someone, displeases her.

That’s exactly how Laila is at home. And that’s proof for me that she’s gotten comfortable with her new school setting. At the same time, that is evidence that Teacher is paying attention to the kids. At the beginning, I’d been worried about Laila and her new teacher wouldn’t gel. I’m glad those worries appear to be groundless.

Now, my latest dilemma is whether I’d stop dropping her off at preschool and just send her off to school with Ate. That’s what we did last year and Baby Cat was OK with it. But at the start of this schoolyear I thought I’d get more involved with Laila’s education. Hence, the daily going-to-school routine that ends with me taking her to her seat in class.

Teacher Reg suggested the other day that, since Laila has apparently overcome separation anxiety and adjusted so well, I stop taking her to school. Laila still whines a little when she knows I’m about to make my exit and Teacher Reg thinks the separation anxiety will go away completely when I stop taking her to school.

Her proposal truly is practical since it’ll give me some free minutes to prepare for work. And it definitely will spare Laila from the heartbreak of being left in school while I go off to the office. But now that someone else has mentioned it, my inclination is to keep on dropping Laila at school. Nothing personal Teacher Reg!

I’m still thinking it over. Ultimately, what I want is what would be good for my Baby Cat. But, admittedly, the obstinate me feels like going against better judgment just because I can.

No comments: