Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Uniformity

There are arguments for and against having uniforms in school.

Some psychologists say it stifles individuality, which shouldn't be what educators aim for. Others say it helps the child achieve a level of community or oneness with his peers. A more practical assessment would be that uniforms are less costly than ordinary play clothes and spares kids from developing the Keeping-Up-With-The-Joneses mentality too early.

Personally, uniforms are just darn cute.

Mayfield has a mint green dress with two pockets in front and embroidered with a mini-landscape of a hilltop house with trees and flowers and a smiling sun in the right side of the chest. How cute is that.

I remember my own uniform from Stella Maris--a blue and white sailor blouse on top of a blue pleated skirt accented with a bow-tie (for elementary pupils) or a blue necktie (for hihg school). I hated it. It was what I had on everyday. But looking back now, the uniform was rather cute.

The plan is for my Little Laila to don that same uniform when she's old enough. I think I was educated quite well by the Fraciscan nuns--well, by the teachers paid by the Franciscan nuns--and I'd like Laila to have that same privilege as well.

+++

What I'm concerned about in sending Laila to Stella Maris is, from what I remember, they have a very conservative, strict and traditional approach to education. I'm worried that this kind of school setting would stifle Laila's spirit. I remember they don't allow running in the corridors and boisterous displays--unless during volleyball games--are highly discouraged.

Furthernore, Stella's a relatively big school so their teachers, who handle more than one class at a time, cannot be expected to connect as much with their students compared to teachers and students from a smaller school like Mayfield. Big schools just do not have the personal touch that small schools provide.

But the counter-argument coming from the little voice inside my brain is that my spirited Laila needs a disciplined environment to temper her. She would also benfit from the strict Catholic upbringing.

The voices inside my head have at least two more years to continue with their argument before I have to finally decide which side to take.

No comments: