Friday, June 8, 2007

Wants

At 2.11 years, Laila seems to have developed certain expectations of, or better yet from, me.

Take last night. She was her same exuberant self when I came home. She was jumping all over, asking to be picked up, locking me in an tight embrace that would do a python proud.

Except that she has added this line to her I'm-so-glad-you're-home greeting: 'San salubong ko?'

She actually expected me to bring her something from work! I was taken aback not only because I brought her absolutely nothing but because I had been thinking exactly just that--that maybe I should bring her something.

It's not unusual for Daddy Alvin and me to bring Laila something, anything, as pasalubong. It can be a P20 toy we buy from the MRT station or a more expensive book or trinket from the mall. Self-righteous me, I once told myself I don't want Baby Cat started to get too used to receiving pasalubong from us. I didn't like the idea of giving her too much stuff, worried that she'd turn out a materialistic and uncaring ogre. I didn't want her to take the gifts she receives for granted.

But I think we crossed that line long ago and not even noticed it. She has tons of stuff. All of it I am sure would help shape her as an individual. And about 90 percent of it gather dust in the toy room/computer room.

Question now is what we do about it. Do I continue buying her stuff that I think would help her develop into a rounded human being or do I stop this manic shopping spree?

Another big question is how do I stop it? Laila's an only and I really want to give her the best I can.

Daddy Alvin thinks I buy Laila stuff not because she wants them but because I want them for her. Perhaps.

+++

Anyways, I led her to the ref and took out a small piece of chocolate, telling her it was my pasalubong.

She gobbled it up and asked for more, going directly to the ref where we kept the chocolates. I told her she's had enough, warning her of cavities and that the Dentist disapproves of cavities.

Undaunted, Laila put her hand to her neck, complaining that it hurt and that only chocolates could make her well. 'Sakit neck ko, gamot yan,' she said.

Aba!

No comments: