Monday, August 13, 2007

Compweeter Whiz

I've never been a techie. New technology brings out the rebel in me and I tend to hold back from trying the latest craze until almost everyone I know has picked up the bug.


I still treat my computer as a lightweight typewriter and mobile mailbox. My cell phone is, well, a mobile phone. I still don't know how to turn on the blue tooth. And I don't know how to check email sent to it. I've learned how to send an email from the phone, though, because it's my lifeline when I need to file a story and I'm in the field.


But Laila? She seems to enjoy technology more.


Here she is checking out my office laptop and 'working.' We hve a desktop at home and she's gotten adept in handling the mouse and clicking to where she wants to go.


Months ago we bought her a CD that has these kids' games. She calls it her Doggie ABCD (she still calls VCDs and CDs ABCD). One game involves fetching a newspaper, a shoe, a bone and what-have-you and giving it to the talking doggie. Another game allows her to click animal parts and the computer will 'talk' about it. It also tests her knowledge with shapes and colors, numbers and the alphabet.

Needless to say, she loves it. And I got my proof that she has mastered control over her hands and the basics of shapes and colors and etc.



And, as I''ve discovered recently, she knows how to get the CD from the CD dive and turn the compweeter off. She even remembered to switch off the regulator. I really don't like her handling anything that's plugged into an electric socket, but it was too late for me to do anything. (Mental note to self: don't let Laila do it again.)



I also bought her a toy laptop that she loves tinkering with. It teaches the same things but runs on two AA batteries so it doesn't add to the electric bill.

Hopefully, she sustains this romance with learning even when she gets older.

No comments: