Monday, August 13, 2007

Seeing the World

I often have these bouts of insecurity, worrying that I'm depriving Laila of precious time and attention and nurturing because of the work I do.


And then there are moments that I am reminded why I do the work I do and how I am hoping that my work would help Laila become a responsible and well-rounded individual.


I went to Sulu and Basilan last weekend. What we hear about those two islands is never good. It's always blood and gore or poverty and deprivation. We do not hear how beautiful the islands are. But they are.


Here's a photo of the mangroves in Tabyawan, Basilan. Even the brigade headqaurters there has a scenic view.



I think this is Sta. Cruz island just off the shores of Zamboanga City. It's not developed, but Col. Bob swears it's a perfect diving spot. I'm inclined to believe his claim. The water was crystal clear I could see the bottom from way up in the chopper.

I don't have photos from Sulu but the aerial view is just as scenic.
I'd like Laila to see these same places when she's older. Only, I wish she can visit Sulu and Basilan without worrying over personal security.

No comments: