Monday, March 19, 2007

Anxiety Attacks

Did I say Laila was doing well with The New Ate? I think I spoke too soon.

She and Ate Daylene get along well, don't get me wrong. I've just been noticing that she's become more cranky lately. Laila easily gets irritated with Ate's presence, making a slashing motion with her arm to keep Ate away from her. She sometimes refuses to be cleaned or changed by Ate.

And this morning, when I took her to preschool, Laila refused to let me leave. She cried and vomitted and refused to let go. The only thing that saved my work clothes from getting smeared with vomit was Quick Mom Reflexes developed over several outfits ruined by vomit.

Teacher Kerin, heaven bless her, recognized the symptoms of an anxiety attack. She says Laila was exactly the same way when her previous caregiver, Ate Mari, had to leave after Christmas break. It took Laila two weeks to get used to Ate Dayene--who's already been with us two years as a maid--taking care of her instead. And now Ate Dayene's also left and she has to get used to The New Ate again.

I think it will take longer for Laila to get used to Ate Daylene. She's been with us for just a week, after all. It's good that classes are over and Laila wouldn't have to attend preschool. She can learn to trust Ate Daylene in the safety and familiarity of our little apartment and without the added pressure of getting dropped off at school.

+++

Speaking of getting used to people, I'm so glad that Laila recognizes her Lolo and Lola now. The two oldies are staying with us for a few days while they get checked up by the doctor. They're not too comfortable staying at the house so entertainment from Laila would help make their stay more enjoyable.

I was afraid that Laila would ignore them the way she does while we're in Batangas. She would look at them briefly, but she generally refuses to have anything to do with them. She even refuses to make mano. I've been wanting to show the oldies everything she's learned in school--the songs, the dances, her counting--but she refuses to perform for them.

Now, apparently, there's no need for prodding. My sister tells me that Mom was telling her about what a chatterbox my princess had been all day. This morning, while she watched her morning cartoons, Laila was dancing to whatever tune was on TV. She was dancing in front of the oldies! Hooray!

Mom says, and this isn't the first time, that Laila is so unlike me and so much like my sister. Well, no complaints there. As long as she's content and happy, I'm good with that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Johnna.

This is great. I get to feel like I'm seeing Laila grow despite the distance. I can imagine your old folks' delight watching their youngest apo with her antics.

Take care and kiss the princess for me.

Ate Cel