Monday, March 26, 2007

Moving Up

Laila had her Moving Up Day in school last Friday.

Teacher Kerin gave her the Giraffe Award for being the biggest bloomer, she says, in the Sparrows Class. Teacher Kerin says Laila, being among the youngest in class, had been the smallest and most shy when school started. Laila couldn't talk very well at the time and she cried for a good two months before settling in.

Now, Teacher Kerin says, Laila is the tallest among the girls (She's always assigned a spot at the back during performances). And Teacher Kerin says Laila wouldn't stop talking. I'm so glad we enrolled her in a progressive school. Otherwise, Laila's fondness for talking (during class) would probably be seen as a negative trait. Teacher Kerin looked so amused telling me how my little chatterbox would tell stories non-stop during their short walk from the playground to the classroom that I'm convinced she's as amused as I am about this.

Teacher Kerin says that Laila loves imitating her as well. Teacher Kerin would tell the class, 'pack away your toys' and Laila would also face the class and tell them to pack away! And Laila loves role-playing games. Teacher Kerin says Laila loves to pretend being a carpenter, banging away in their toy workbench for long lengths of time.

And Laila loves to sing and dance and watch herself in the mirror while performing. She would break away from formation and stand in front of the mirror and continue singing and dancing there. She also loves making faces.

I can't describe how glad I am that other people actually appreciate Laila's traits the way I do.

After the ceremony, Daddy Alvin and I showed Laila our surprise--a kiddie pool that we set up at the back of the house. She went nuts over it; she insisted to get on even if we were just beginning to fill it up with water.

Other kids from the building--Ate Paula, Daphne and Bridgette--joined and they had an impromtu pool party. The Ates brought the girls lunch and I provided a snack of cookies and chocholate milk. Not healthy, I know, but it's a hit with the kids.

By the time they finished, Laila was beat. She kicked and screamed all the way to the bathroom for a shower, but fell right asleep when her head hit the pillow. I can imagine the other girls were the same, except for the kicking and screaming part.

+++

I want to remember Laila's Moving Up Day exactly how it was.

She had on her pink dress with sateen frills, her lavander princess shoes and white lacy socks with small flowers for accent. She was in pigtails that she ripped off several times before we even left the house; but in the end she left it alone.

We were so sure that the ceremony would start late like they always do that by the time we got to school, Teacher Kerin was already playing a video she made of the Sparrows on a white screen. She promised to give parents a copy.

And since we got there late, Laila hadn't gotten the time to get used to all the Mommies and Daddies and Ates present and she refused to let go of me. She even dragged me to the toddler-sized chairs reserved for the Sparrows in front. So there I sat beside Laila in the front row, crouched on the floor so I wouldn't block the view of her classmates.

Laila was also hesitant to dance with the class but she found nothing objectionable to dancing for Daddy, who she dragged to the makeshift stage with her. Instead of facing the audience, Laila paired off with Daddy. Well, if she doesn't like dancing for the crowd at so short notice...

There was a small reception for the parents and the 'graduates'. We were assigned to bring the marshmallows and the Jelly Ace (well, the jellies were my idea) and the kids loved it. Other parents brought barbeque, muffins, french fries, cookies and juice.

The reception was a good idea since it gave the kids time to say goodbye to their classmates. They will, after all, not be seeing each for the duration of summer. And, in Laila's case, I think we're moving her to another school so I want her to say goodbye and thanks to the people who was part of the second year of her life.

I especially wanted her to spend a little time with Mauro, who's sort of been her bestfriend last year. Mauro was the first classmate who she told me about. Mauro was the only classmate she ever bit. They always sat beside each other. And, a night, when I ask Laila what she did in school, she'd always say she played with Mau-Mau. Mauro is one sweet boy.

And I thanked Teacher Kerin for being such a good influence on Laila. Teacher Kerin taught Laila a lot of what my tweedlebug knows, her colors, her shapes, numbers and alphabet. I don't think I'd have the presence of mind to teach Laila all those and that's why I'm very proud of myself for sending her to preschool at 23 months.

School made her a confident and sociable toddler who loves the idea of school. She's even been asking about The New School.

So this is how a proud parent is.

No comments: