Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Congratulations Daddy


He's done it! Daddy Alvin has passed the bar! Yahoooo!


We learned of the news from Daddy's friend Kenneth, who works for the Supreme Court. It was almost 8 pm when we heard and we were in a taxi on the way home. It felt strange, hearing the news.


I'd had a strong feeling since that morning that he would make it. I was already playing it out in my mind how I'd react if I learned of the news while I was still in the office. Daddy turned off his cell phone so no one could text him the result. He said he wants to find out the old fashioned way--from the newspaper the following day.


We've been waiting for news like this for years. Finally, after so much hard work and effort, he's got it. I thought we would be reacting more gleefully though. But it felt more like exhaustion. Something you feel after a terribly vigorous workout and you stop and your whole body feels heavy.


I guess years of wanting and hoping for and working on something can do that to you.


Daddy was outwardly elated by this morning. He left the house 6 am to visit Lolo Conring in the cemetery to deliver the good news. After so many decades, there's another lawyer in the family.


Congratulations Daddy. You finally got it. We're so proud of you.


+++


Somebody who was ecstatic last night was Laila. She was laughing, slap-on-the-knee, head-banging happy last night when we told her the news.


She doesn't grasp what it means to mass the bar, but we were all joking and laughing that she had to laugh with us.


She's sweet that way.

No comments: