Sunday, April 1, 2007

Tact & Preferrences


I was sorting Laila's photos and I came across the shots we took on her first day at preschool. She was only as tall as my hips. Now she's at the leve of my waist.

My, how much my baby's grown in 12 months.

And she's grown not only taller but in everything else--vocabulary, comprehension, empathy, context. She knows what she likes and what she doesn't. And this little tweedlebug has no trouble or qualms letting her preferrences known.

We have a neighbor exactly her age, Bridgette, and as often as possible I match them up for a playdate. They get along well usually. But there are times--too often for my liking--that Laila seems to dislike Bridgette's company.

Laila would refuse to lend Bridgette any of her toys but she would offer the very same one to Daphne or Ate Pau, two slightly older playmates. Laila even refused to lend Bridgette one of her bubble blowers. Laila shoving her away and pulled me home saying she doesn't want to play anymore.

Last weekend, I took out the kiddie pool for the four girls. They all got along at first but as the minues ticked they began displaying "bad" behavior.

By bad behavior I mean I feel they are ganging up on Bridgette, who's very sweet and unabashed. The girls would tell Bridgette to stop whatever she was doing. Once or twice (actually it's probably more than once or twice) they each told her to go home.

Granted that Bridgette was screaming and splashing and grabbing toys. Laila, at that point, cover her ears with her hands and delicate brows would meet. But they all , at one point or another, were screaming, splashing and grabbing toys from each other.

I don't understand this playground meanness. I refuse, however, to believe that they're doing this out of deliberate meanness. Children, especially not Laila, cannot have the capacity to be mean even if their actions are. They are not aware they are mean even if they are.

There's been a lot of discussion in Oprah about this. I admit, I was afraid Laila would be bullied by the bigger kids when I first enrolled her in school. I hadn't--and still don't--seriously thought about the possibility that Laila would do the bullying.

Of course, I wouldn't call Laila's behavior as bullying. She doesn't force anything on anyone, except maybe me and Daddy. She just knows what she likes and she is not shy in making her preferrences known.

I'm actually careful not to discourage Laila from making choices for herself, even if it involves choosing which toy to share and who to shae it with. I don't want her to get the impression that she's obligated to share everything with whomever.

But I can't look at Bridgette's Mom squarely either. And I don't think she's looking at me directly as well. I guess she must be thinking I don't discipline Laila enough. I'm torn between feeling sorry for Bridgette--who in a couple of years would already mind the rejection--and wanting to encourage Laila's high-spiritedness.

I guess what I want Laila to eventually develop is tact. For the time being, I'll just have to make sure Laila doesn't get into a brawl over bubbles.

No comments: