Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Keeping up with the Joneses

When Laila was born I was determined to raise her as a down to earth, prudent, fair, thrifty individual.

I think i'm succeeding in most areas. Except that I have my own faults as well.

For months I've been thinking of getting her one of those kiddie motorbikes that runs on batteries (read: expensive) and nearly succeeded in giving her one as a gift for her third birthday.

But Daddy Cat talked me out of it. He says it's excessive to give a preschooler a five-thousand peso gift that she'd outgrow before the rubber tires wear out.

My rational mind agrees with him but the irrational part of my brain still pines for that lovely pink motorbike. Why should the kids in posh Urdaneta have one while my Baby Cat doesn't?

And then the neighbor bought a kiddie car for his year-old son.

Admittedly, I get envious of particular individuals over a number of things. The Journal of Personality and Social Psychology defines envy is an emotion that 'occurs when a person lacks another’s superior quality, achievement, or possession and desires it.' It's a perfectly normal reaction among creatures with a brain at the level of development as ours.

Envy drives me to work harder to achieve whatever it is I envy. I fancy myself as a level-headed cavegirl that pursues rational pursuits.

Baby Cat hasn't gotten to my cavegirl level of sophistication in terms of dealing with envy. Her uncle reported that this morning she tried to forcibly borrow the car from the younger boy, who we all lovingly call Baby Brother. The Ates are around, of course, and there was no bloodshed.

But I'm afraid there were tears. From Baby Cat.

And it breaks my heart.

But an overly expensive toy is too vulgar, I am convinced. There are millions of kids who are malnourished and have nothing to eat but water, rice and salt. How can we spend thousands of pesos for a toy she will eventually outgrow.

That's what the rational me sternly believes. The irrational me wants to buy her the damn motorbike.

No comments: